Sunday, May 1, 2011

Spring Break

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and Spring Break - we did but, man, it was really hectic!

Brent got back from China Thursday night with a cold. We got up Friday to go to Will's Spring Sing (the video is on YouTube but I decided not to post it - not everyone wants to hear 5 minutes of Will's half-hearted singing) - poor Brent was still sick and spent most of the day in bed. I got everything and everyone ready to hit the road Saturday for Michigan. I drove all 12 hours Saturday but we made it there in one piece, with everyone still in a pretty good mood.

After a very short visit with the Maxwell's (where it actually snowed and Fi exclaimed, "It's Christmas!"), the kids and I left Sunday afternoon for my parent's house. Another short visit and then the kids, my mom, and I left for Pittsburgh to visit my grandparents. We actually stayed there until Thursday! :)

We had a really nice visit with G-Gpa - Fi remembered coloring eggs there last year and assumed that's what we'd do this year. She also remember my Uncle Mike being there and was very confused when he wasn't this time - she must have thought that he lived there. We had a nice visit with Great Grandma too - she remembered the kids and enjoyed seeing them at the barn. They helped feed the cows and horses, and there was a new batch of kittens that they enjoyed holding/tormenting - Fi couldn't understand why she couldn't hold one upside down. The Amish finished fixing our family barn in Sept and it looks really nice - I have a lot of special summer memories from the farm and I'm glad it's still there to show my children.

Thursday we headed back to MI and managed an all too brief pit-stop in Ann Arbor to give Kristi a box of hand-me-downs for Taye and give her a quick hug. When we got back to Grand Blanc, we got to be a family again - Brent met us there and we had a great night. Friday, Brent and I ran some errands for the Easter Bunny and were supposed to go to a Tiger's game. Brent really, really misses his live Tiger's games, so I didn't want to be a spoil-sport by complaining that it was too cold and rainy; and pointing out that we all still had colds . . . But, as luck would have it, Brent decided it would be better to skip the game. Yea! Instead, we had a nice dinner together at Mr. B's and went to see the remake of "Arthur" - it was quite good and had some really funny parts.

Saturday, we headed back over to Maxwell's. We had another really good visit and the Easter Bunny found us there Sunday morning. The kids had fun looking for their baskets and eggs - this was the first year Fi really got the idea and it was pretty funny.

Monday, we drove the 12 hours back. While we had great short visits, we were happy to leave the cold North behind and get back to the sunny South. After almost 2 years down here (I can't believe it!), it really feels like home. I think next year, we'll have Easter here and come up North in the summer, when we can spend more time with everyone and less time running around.

No comments:

Post a Comment