Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sofia Stories




















Sofia is growing and changing so much - I know I should expect it and all, but I still can't believe it. She's still not talking much (mama, dada, yeah, hi, and sometimes ni-nite) but she is trying her darndest. She makes the funniest noises with her tongue, especially when we're in the car. I'm not sure how to type the sound but it's like "blabh, blabh, blabh" and when she does stop, both her cheeks are covered in slobber. It's super funny! Even Will asks her, "Fi, what are you singing?" When she's tired of making tongue noises, she starts going "yeah, yeah, yeah" over and over again. It's also super funny! I'll try to get a real video of it (with noise) but as she usually does most of it when we're in the car, I'm not sure that will happen.

Even though she doesn't have the words yet, she's expressing herself quite a lot. She'll imperiously point to something she wants and yells, "GA!" As you guess what this might be, she looks at you. When you finally guess correctly, her eyes light up and she starts nodding "yes" emphatically. It's quite an effective communication tool (and it's funny to boot.)

A few posts ago, I mentioned how we were feeding her naked (as she wants to do it herself and it's just easier on me and the laundry). Well, she still wants to do everything herself and now she wants to sit at the table with us to eat, not in her highchair. We try to get her in it and you'd think we were sending her to the electric chair or something - she struggles, pushes, screams, cries . . . And, when we do get her in there, she tries (and sometimes manages) to escape. So, I'm now working on feeding her at the table (well, helping her feed herself really.) At least we're all eating together now.

She's found some new favorite foods - grapes. I love to have grapes with breakfast, especially in the warm weather. She saw me eating one and kept pointing to it. So, I cut one up for her (since every talks about kids choking on whole ones) but she wouldn't eat it. So, I gave her a whole one - she loved it! She'll go to the fridge and point until you open it, and then, when it's opened, she'll point to the bowl of grapes until she gets some. I tried putting a bunch in a bowl for her - bad idea. She put as many as she could in her mouth (her little cheeks were puffed out like a chipmunk!) and then started choking. But, one at a time she can handle. She's also eaten blueberries, white beans, and watermelon (see earlier post) lately and liked them. Thank goodness - I may end up with one good eater yet!

I'm sure I have some more to tell, but those are the ones that come readily to mind at the moment. I'm sure I'll have more soon, as the kids do something funny almost every day.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah Sofia! She's so cute Janet. I love the little red outfit she's wearing in the photo in this post. Is she now sitting at the table eating naked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the outfit - it's 18 months, so Sylvia will probably see it in the future (as long as she doesn't have a major growth spurt . . .)
    She's not eating naked as much anymore - only when spaghetti sauce is involved (it's so hard to get out of clothes.)

    ReplyDelete