Saturday, July 18, 2009

Blogging Is Great But . . .

I really enjoy blogging (I hope others actually read it - post some comments, people!) and reading other people's blogs. I love how it keeps me up to date on Ann and Kristi and John (a friend from college). And, I've learned a lot about my friends that I didn't know before, like Ann's actually into politics (which I'm not so I never brought it up), she used to play the flute, and that she likes a good 7 & 7 (I always thought she was an Amaretto Sour girl) and it cracks me up that she always says, "I'm not much of a cook," but she's always posting good recipes she's made; I learned that Kristi has a bit of a poetic side when it comes to describing her girls. So, I really appreciate the technology and the great way we have to keep in touch. It's so much better than snail mail.

But, at the same time, I worry that it may keep us from actually talking - you know, reaching out and touching someone via the telephone. Let alone sending letters (which I think can be really romantic.) With everyone texting, Facebooking, blogging - does anyone pick up a phone? I know they do (and this is actually a reminder to me that I need to pick up the phone as well), but still.

I sent Ann some of Fi's clothes for Sylvia the other day and included a note that reminded her that I like the sound of her voice. Now, I'm sure this was a bit annoying (it's okay, Ann, you can admit it) . . . But, this is a reminder to everyone (again, this includes me) to pick up the phone. I love the sound of your voices and hope to hear them all soon.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again soooooo much for that box of clothes from Sofia - you are spoiling us by sharing all of her too cute clothes!

    AND - I got your message loud and clear. I picked up the phone tonight and left you a message! :) I look forward to talking with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann - the message wasn't just for you; it was for me too. I actually think we're pretty good at keeping in touch over the phone, and I do learn a lot about you via your blog, which I appreciate.

    This posting was really just me thinking about the effects of technology on communication in general - Brent and I had talked about it the other night and it was on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I know! I was just giving you a hard time. I actually called and you didn't answer! :) I'm with you on the whole technology bit. It's great and not great all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete